Keeping our communities safer


Keeping Safe

If you think you are experiencing any type of abuse, it is important to remember that it is not your fault and that there is support available.

If you are unsure, go with your instincts, if it doesn’t feel right, it probably isn’t. You may feel alone and that no-one can help you; but many people experience abuse and there are many services that can provide support.

You can speak to your teacher, GP, work colleague or any other trusted professional. Speaking to someone about what you are going through can help you to feel less alone and can support you in understanding your options.

There are steps you can take to help keep yourself (and your children) safe:

  • Tell someone you trust about the situation. Ask them to keep an eye on you. Decide on a safe word or phrase you can use, or text to let them know you are in danger.  Agree what they would do in this situation (e.g. call the police).
  • Plan what to do in an emergency. Decide which room at home feels safest and which friends or family you can turn to. If you can’t leave the property try to block yourself in the safest room and call 999.
  • Teach your children when to call 999, what to do, and how to give their address. Ask neighbours to call 999 if they hear a disturbance. Keep copies of important documents, along with some emergency money, any medication, and a packed bag for emergencies in a safe place or with a trusted friend or family member.
  • Keep your phone close and fully charged. Put important numbers on speed dial.
  • Keep a date, time and item record of unwanted contact and how it made you feel. Only do this if you have a safe place to store it.
  • If you are planning to leave ask for help and support to consider how to do it in the safest way possible.

How to get help – the Police 

You can report abuse in the following ways:

Remember to always to call 999 if you or someone else is in immediate danger.

How to get help – specialist services

If you’ve been affected by domestic or sexual abuse or violence, contact Change, Grow, Live, the specialist domestic abuse service in East Sussex. Call 0300 323 9985 or email 

Clarion operates domestic abuse refuges in East Sussex. Email for support.

Hersana work in Sussex to support Black women and femmes experiencing gender-based violence. Call 0333 016 9610 or email 

Survivors’ Network offer specialist support after rape and sexual violence. Call 01273 203 380.

Veritas Justice provide specialist stalking advocacy and support in Sussex. Call 01273 234 773

Visit the Safe in East Sussex website for further information and resources for support services.

How to get help – children 

Find out about the support available for you and your family and how to get the help you need. Contact the Single Point of Advice (SPOA) on 01323 464222

How to get help – adults 

Report abuse or neglect of an adult by calling Health and Social Care Connect on0345 60 80 191.


Members of the Safer Communities Partnership