Help and advice about sexual violence


How to get help – the Police

You can report rape and sexual abuse in the following ways:

By calling 101


In person at your local police station

Remember to always call 999 if you or someone else is in immediate danger.

How to get help – specialist services

If you’ve been affected by domestic or sexual abuse or violence contact The Portal to find out more about the help, advice and support available. The Portal is a partnership of leading Sussex Domestic and Sexual Abuse Charities including Survivors’ Network.To contact The Portal, call Freephone 0300 323 9985 or email 

Other local services include:

Mankind, who offer support to men who have been sexual abused. Call 01273 911680. 

The Saturn Centre, which is the Sussex Sexual Assault Referral Centre, offers free support and practical help to anyone in Sussex who has experienced sexual abuse. If you would like to speak to someone the Saturn Centre is available 24/7 on 0800 033 7797.

How to get help – children

If you are worried about a child or teenager who might be at risk of harm or in danger:

In an emergency call 999

Otherwise contact the Single Point of Advice (SPOA) team:

Phone: 01323 464222

Opening hours: Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 5pm, Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm

How to get help – adults

If you are concerned that you or someone you know about may be being abused, neglected or exploited, contact Adult Social Care.

 • If the person is in immediate danger, contact the police on 999.

Otherwise Phone: 0345 60 80 191, 8am to 8pm 7 days a week including bank holidays.

How to get help – national

Rape Crisis

Freephone 0808 802 9999 

Rape Crisis England & Wales is the national umbrella body for our network of autonomous member Rape Crisis Centres across England and Wales and was set up to support their specialist work. 


0203 598 3898

SurvivorsUK helps men who have been sexually abused and raises awareness of their needs. 


01708 765200

A confidential emotional support to children, young adults and adults by telephone, email and post for all genders.

Members of the Safer Communities Partnership