Help and advice about female genital mutilation


How to get help – the Police

You can report FGM in the following ways:

• By calling 101
• the Sussex Police website
• In person at your local police station
Remember to always to call 999 if you or someone else is in immediate danger.
How to get help – children
If you are worried about a child or teenager who might be at risk of harm or in danger:
• In an emergency call 999
• Otherwise contact the Single Point of Advice (SPOA) team:
Phone: 01323 464222
Opening hours: Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 5pm, Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm
How to get help – adults
If you are concerned that you or someone you know about may be being abused, neglected or exploited, contact Adult Social Care.
 • If the person is in immediate danger, contact the police on 999.
• Otherwise Phone: 0345 60 80 191, 8am to 8pm 7 days a week including bank holidays.

How to get help – national 

NSPCC FGM Helpline
Freephone 0800 028 3550
Call the FGM helpline if you're worried a child is at risk of, or has had, FGM.
Visit the NSPCC website  

Contact FORWARD on 0208 960 4000
FORWARD, The Foundation for Women’s Health Research and Development provides support and campaigns to safeguard the sexual and reproductive health and rights of African girls and women.
Visit FORWARD website

Foreign and Commonwealth Office
020 7008 1500
If you know a British national who’s already been taken abroad you might wish to contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office via the Home Office website 


Members of the Safer Communities Partnership